Clearly, our decision to take Gavin to a drag race is influenced by my dad. My sis and I spent part of our childhood at drag races when my dad used to race dragsters (he was the brain of the operation--the crew chief). Never did I think one of my kids would be remotely interested in going to a race. But Gavin does love cars. He not only loves cars but the competition too. While we drive around town he asks us to "go faster" and pass the car next to us and tells us "we are catching up." My family says it's "in his blood". I know that's not how it works but he sure has picked up on the subtle cues! :)
So here are the pictures...
The first picture below is in the parking lot, about the walk to the track. The second pic is the sign at the main entrance, and the third pic is "happy Gavin" with his tickets in hand. Leading up to today, he kept telling me "but I already have tickets" (he was referring to the money holder's Grandpa gave him to use as tickets).
Here's a picture of Gavin in the grandstands with his earmuffs (which he called his headset--like a crew chief). Those of you who know Gavin know that the old show "Kids Say the Darndest Things" was made for Gavin. At first today, Gavin got frustrated that we were there ONLY to watch. Here's a bit of dialog between Gavin and I that will show you what I mean.
Gavin: I don't want to WATCH race cars--I want to RACE!
Daddy: These are professional drivers. Besides, you don't have a driver's license for this track
Gavin: Let's go get my driver's license. I was to race! (note: Gavin has a "driver's license" for the racetrack in Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom--which he apparently thinks is valid at other tracks?!?!)
This picture above this video is the Funny Car driven by "Fast" Jack Beckman, Gavin's new favorite Funny Car driver. More on him in a bit...
The video above is for a Top Fuel run which included Gavin's new favorite Top Fuel driver: Tony Schumacher. Note: these cars are LOUD--that's why it sounds like the speaker breaks in the middle of the video. It was simply too much horsepower for my iPhone to take in...
This next video is for a Funny Car run. Personally, I prefer the Funny Cars over all other classes of cars. These are the cars that you could truly feel throughout your whole body--even moreso than the Top Fuel (in my opinion anyway). I like this clip because it ends on Gavin, snacking (as always) in the stands.
Here is Gavin standing at the back of the semi trailer for "Fast" Jack Beckman. Doesn't Gavin look cool! Fast Jack was a really nice man whom Gavin got to meet. He signed a photo for Gavin (which can be seen at the end of this post), and gave him some personalized attention. Gavin even talked with some of the mechanics on Jack's team. I know, I know, how did I not catch this on film. To be honest, I was just a happy dad enjoying the moment. Sometimes you've just gotta put the camera down and live in the moment...
Here is Gavin with his new Tony Schumacher Top Fuel car. I had been shopping around a bit looking for a good first NHRA toy car for him. Most of the cars we saw were A) really nice collectible cars with a matching pricetag, or b) cheezy looking plastic kids cars. This was a nice small diecast (which we now know is now ALL diecast. I've already done two super-glue jobs to it today--he's been driving that thing around the house like a madman). I should point out that this race track is very "Army" oriented--as is his new car. I taught him that mama doesn't want Gavin to "work at the Army." He learned this quickly, and then he reminded me that he already works somewhere else anyway. Gavin: "I work at Ikea."
Here is Gavin in front of (I think) a replica of John Force's Funny Car. I believe he is one of Joe's favorite drivers. I always thought he looked like Gary Busey's twin brother. The Force family is huge in drag racing, and especially huge at this track. After all, we were sitting in the John Force Grandstand. His two daughters (who also race) are very popular as well...the second picture below is driven by one of his daughters--Courtney, I think...
Above is a picture of Gavin near the starting area of the track. There was a short break between runs, so we did a quick photo op. This was on our way out...
Below is my favorite picture of the day. When you're asking strangers to take pictures of you it's hard to get a really good one. I'm just happy we got a nice picture together.
Here's Gavin with his signed Fast Jack Beckman picture. I love that Gavin went to his first drag race, and came away with one Funny Car and one Top Fuel driver to route for: Jack Beckman and Tony Schumacher. Perhaps his next race will be in the company of Abuelo so he can really learn about the races and soak it all up. I tried to teach him what I could, but my knowledge is elementary at best. Still, I introduced him to a whole new world---races that "go in a straight line."
1 comment:
Wow,what a great father and son day. Memories!
Post a Comment