Today we met up with a few faculty members from USCL along with their families to visit 40 Acre Rock. This place is not a park per se, it's just a place to hike to a giant rock "mountain" area with a pretty good view. One of the biologists on staff came to give us a tour and share some facts with the kids (and adults) about plants and the wildlife in the area. It was a .25 mile walk to the rock but we stopped often to look at different plants, spiders, frogs, beetles, poison ivy/oak, etc. The little little ones were getting antsy (no pun intended) but the older ones were going along with it fine and Gavin fit right in. He was pointing out pine cones, ants, sticks, etc.
Here are some pics:
 |
| Mr. Bob (biologist- beige shirt) pointing stuff out for the kids |
 |
| The path to the rock |
 |
| More stuff...this may have been a spider |
 |
| the rock...the picture doesn't feel like it but it looked like we were on a cliff. turns out the rock just got steeper so it wasn't as dangerous as I originally thought. I was holding on to Gavin for dear life. |
 |
| the rare plants that live in the rock depression spots |
 |
| Snack time |
 |
| the view. pictured is also another couple who work at USCL and whose daughter is a new friend of Gavin's |
 |
| cool tree |
So, it was a bit hot and humid on the walk over to the rock (only a quarter mile) but everyone was tired on the way back. Gavin was starting to get a little whiny voice and I could tell he was seconds away from asking us to pick him up and carry him back to the car. At one point, he just stopped walking. I asked him if he was ok and he said yes...but he had that tired look on his face. I then asked, "do you need me to reset your back-up boosters?" and he quickly said "yes!". Resetting the boosters just means that I pretend Gavin is a robot or race car (whatever he wants) and I pretend to wind him up on his back, tighten up the screws and send him on his way. Instant energy. From that point, he RAN all the way back. So, here he is way ahead of everyone else.
still running...
His friend, Lulu, tried to catch him.
but Gavin was too fast! :)
Gavin told Lulu's dad he had on his backup boosters so he was super fast. I need to sign him up for a kids' race asap. He loves to run.
No comments:
Post a Comment