Sunday, November 2, 2008

21 weeks + 4 days

Yesterday at around 10:40pm, Nick felt baby "G" kick. I was laying in the couch and could feel that he was pretty active. I told Nick and he wanted to see if he could feel him. Soon after, baby "G" gave a strong kick, Nick and I both jolted a bit. Nick's face was priceless. He had the biggest smile on his face. He immediately said, "I'm going to call my parents", and he did. He talked to his dad for a couple of minutes but when I said he's kicking again, he let him go so he could come back to feel. Baby "G" has been active late at night. I suspect he sleeps during the day and wakes up while I'm sleeping which is why I don't feel him as much as I thought I should be feeling him.

In other news, I think I may not have stretch marks. I know the sentence doesn't make much sense. A few weeks ago, I showed my mom a couple of red spots that I had on my belly and she freaked out and told me they were the beginning of stretch marks. She said they start out like that and then they spread out and open up. I've been paranoid ever since and have bought close to every brand of stretch marks prevention lotions in the market. My routine has consisted of "tummy butter", vitamin E oil, followed by petroleum jelly, and topped off with a stretch mark soothing cream. Basically I end up looking like a grease ball.

I have showed the marks to various people and they all said they don't look like stretch marks, it looks more like a rash. When these marks showed up on my hip flexors and upper thighs, I began to question whether they were stretch marks because my thighs are not growing that fast. When I looked it up in my book, I found a condition called "pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy", aka PUPPP. This is described as reddish, itchy, raised patches of skin that appear on the abdomen and then spreads to arms, legs, butts and thighs.

Based on the description, I think this is what I have. I have severe itching at times- this is soothed with the creams/oils. I will ask my Dr. on the 17th if this is the case. I certainly hope so because PUPPP goes away after pregnancy.

Last week, I watched Oprah and they featured a story about a couple who gave birth to baby Eliot. Their story made me put my pregnancy in perspective and it really gave me a sense of peace. I realized that I don't need to worry because no matter what happens, we will be ok. This family made everyday a happy experience when others would have been devastated. It's a lesson I needed. Watch the video of their story at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th6Njr-qkq0

No comments: