Monday, November 17, 2008

23 weeks + 5 days

I just came back from my Dr.'s appointment. So far so good.
Here's the update:

Weight gained: 6 lbs since last visit. I was shocked. I knew I had popped out but for some reason I didn't think that would equate to 6 pounds. Dr. said not to worry about the sudden jump in weight gain. I'm still within the average range.

Belly Measurements: This was the first time I was measured. I didn't ask for a number because it has no meaning to me anyway. The Dr. just said I measured where I needed to be and that sufficed for me.

Baby's heart rate: I was distracted by Gavin kicking the Doppler everytime the Dr. put it on my belly. It was so funny that I forgot to ask for the heart rate. I'd been tracking it for the scrapbook- oh well.

I asked the Dr. if he could tell how the baby was positioned and he said not at this time. He also said not to get too caught up on his current position because he has plenty of room and he'll continue to move and reposition himself. It won't be until weeks 30-32 that we can start worrying about his position. I don't think the Dr. believes that the exercises we were told about in birthing class actually work in repositioning a baby but I'm not wasting my time discussing that with him. I'm not sure that they'll work either so I'll choose another battle to fight.

I was given the Rx for the gestational diabetes test. The next appointment is my last 4 weeks out appointment. After that, I'll start going to the Dr. every 3 weeks. I said "scary!" and the Dr. corrected me and said "not scary, exciting!". I decided not to discuss the birth plan at this appointment because I think it's too early. Plus, I'm glad I didn't because I was the very last patient of the day and I think he would've hated me if I would've kept him any longer than I did. It was dark when I left the office as it was. I did ask him if he's taking any vacations in February-March and he said he's only planning vacations during the holidays. I'm not too worried about him not being there but I wanted to ask anyway.

I forgot to mention that Saturday was the first time, we SAW Gavin move. He has been really active over the past few days. It was so sudden that I almost worried he could be in distress- not the case. Anyhow, I was wearing a camisole and laying on the floor when I felt him move. I looked down and saw my stomach contort itself. I called Nick over and we both just stared at my stomach. Every so often he would reposition himself and we could see it. This felt super freaky- very alien like- but I like it. I'm enjoying that he's making his presence known.

Anyhow, I'm going to have dinner now.... nursery room pictures coming soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is the most amazing thing to feel your baby moving inside your belly, but how glorious is it to actually see him move? That must have been super special. My thoughts are with you.Tania