Sunday, November 9, 2008

22 weeks + 4 days

I tried out my new crock pot today. I'm hoping that this helps me eat more home-cooked meals at least 3-4 days/week. Today's menu consisted of artichoke and spinach dip for an appetizer- cooked on my "little dipper" crock pot- and the main dish of onions, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and a huge chunk of beef (don't know what cut) in an au jus broth.

It doesn't look very pretty but it had a really good taste. This was one 0f the easiest meals I've ever done. It just takes a little planning on my part to set the crock pot in the morning before I leave for work.
I am trying really hard to eat more protein. The Bradley book and the birthing instructor both recommended eating between 85-100 mg of protein/day. I need to lay off the red meat and focus on other protein sources. Last week I made black bean and cheese burritos at home thinking beans would be good for my diet but they did NOT digest well. When I looked at the nutrition label of the beans, I had only had about 23mg of protein. This isn't bad for one meal. However, I could've had two cans of Ensure for the same amount of protein without the indigestion. I was still proud of myself for not eating junk food (frozen dinners!). This is a challenge for me but I see it as training. I have criticized parents for allowing their kids to eat junk so I need to get into a routine of only eating at home.

1 comment:

Mary Fryman Guittar said...

LOOKS GREAT!! I CAN TELL WHICH PLATE IS NICKS AND WHICH IS YOURS THOUGH. AT LEAST NICK HAS PLENTY OF CARROTS ON HIS PLATE. HOWEVER, WHEN THE LITTLE ONE STARTS EATING REGULAR FOODS, IS NICK GOING TO TRY THOSE MUSHROOMS TOO?

LOVE,
MARY-MOM