Friday, November 21, 2008

24 weeks + 2 days

I had a very long work week this week. By Friday I was over it. It was time to wear my t-shirt!

I was surprised I felt up to it but I convinced Nick to come with me to Babies R' Us to register. I figured a Friday afternoon was as good as it was going to get for me. I didn't want to go shop on the weekend because Babies R' Us (BRU) is super packed then.

I had started the baby registry online a few weeks ago. I figured this would make it easier and cut the time we spent at the store. I find it easier to shop online where I can read the customer reviews and ratings. It has helped me make some major decisions.
We started in the infant care section. I was totally overwhelmed. We both stood in front of the aisles and stared at stuff that we don't know how to use (e.g. breast pumps, milk storing systems, bathing items, etc.). I wanted everything to be in an "all necessities included" kit but I wasn't so lucky. I have done extensive research on the "major" items- mostly baby gear- but none on the little things.
We were totally overstimulated by the toy aisles. I honestly couldn't tell the difference from toy to toy. It's just a giant wall of BRIGHT colors. How am I supposed to know what Gavin will like? We stuck to the classic toys and some that caught our attention and matched the nursery theme.

Overall, I know I am missing a lot of stuff in the feeding and bedding area- mostly because I don't know what I'll need. This was round #1 of the baby registry. I will continue to tweak it online where I can compare all the items' reviews. Plus, I'm still waiting for Christina to come with me so she can show me what I'll need based on her experience and also compare her stroller to the other one on our list. Hopefully, we'll have a final answer on the travel system before Christmas. It's funny how everyone has an opinion about it and it can be polar opposites. While Nick and I were waiting to be checked out with our registry, the staff person was going over her choices of travel systems and she mentioned one of the ones on our list. Right as she mentions the brand name, a couple walks in with that travel system and they overheard our conversation and told us "it sucks- there are better strollers out there for your money". We asked why and she gave us a detailed run down of all the features she wished were improved. The good thing is that I had already read about those same complaints online so she didn't mention anything new to me.
I was disappointed that the bedding theme we had already chosen ("T is for Tiger") is now not available at BRU- online or in store. We can still get it through Amazon or at Burlington.
In a couple of weeks, I should have the final wish list ready. One more thing crossed off our list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there try babysupermall.com, it has tons of bedding and free shipping over $100/ and you know you will spend more than that.Tania