Stats from the Dr. visit today:
Current Weight: 153lbs
Total weight gain: 35 lbs.
Belly measurements: 31 cm
Gavin's heart Rate: about 150
I presented the birth plan to the doc and he said he didn't foresee any problems.
This is my birth plan:
Labor & Delivery
§ I would like to avoid induction unless it is medically necessary.
§ I would like a telemetry monitor and a heparin lock administered instead of an IV so I can remain as mobile as possible throughout labor
§ I would like to be free to walk, change positions and use the bathroom as needed.
§ I do NOT want to be told how far along I am dilated when examined. Dr. and nurses may communicate this information to Nick.
§ I will remain hydrated by drinking moderate amounts of fluids (water, juice, ice chips).
§ I would like to try alternative means of labor augmentation, like walking, before pitocin or artificial rupture of membranes is attempted.
§ Please do not ask me for my pain level or offer me pain medication unless I ask for it.
§ I would like to avoid using stirrups while pushing.
§ I prefer not to have an episiotomy unless it is medically indicated. I would rather tear than have an episiotomy. Please suture tears only if necessary.
§ Even if I am fully dilated, and if our baby is not in distress, I would like to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase. I prefer to push with my instincts.
Cesarean Section Delivery
I feel very strongly that I would like to avoid a cesarean delivery. I would like my husband, Nick, to be present during the surgery. If conditions permit, our baby should be given to Nick immediately after the birth. If possible, I would like to breastfeed our baby immediately after the birth.
After the birth/Newborn Care
§ My husband, Nick would like the option to cut the cord. Please allow the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is cut.
§ Please evaluate and bathe our baby at my bedside. If our baby must go to the nursery for evaluation or medical treatment, Nick will accompany our baby at all times.
§ I would like to have our baby room-in with me at all times.
§ I plan to breastfeed and want to nurse immediately following the birth.
Additional notes:
I would like for our baby to be circumcised before we check out of the hospital.
I was surprised that he agreed to the heparin lock instead of a full IV- as long as I don't get dehydrated. He did say that the anesthesiology team would come by to get my information whether I ask for it or not. This is done so that if I ask for pain killers, they have updated info/stats on me and can administer drugs without delay. I guess I can live with that.
Funny enough when I told him that I wanted a natural childbirth, he asked if I had read about hypnobabies/hypnobirthing. He just had a patient who gave birth using this method and he said she did wonderful. I told him I had taken the class and he was very supportive. At one point in our discussion, he mentioned having delivered 12 babies in one of his shifts last week. I couldn't get over that number. That's a lot of babies for one day, let alone at one hospital during one shift.
My next appointment is in 2 weeks. That's exciting! It's that close. Doc said I could pre-register at the hospital after next week (32 weeks). I guess this is a good time to schedule a hospital tour. It's on my to-do list for next week.
1 comment:
WOW----OMG----ITS ALMOST TIME!!!
Its not like we didn't know this was coming, but Gavins almost here! We both are getting almost getty about his arrival. Just to know Nick and Steph, we are both here for you and support you in any way we can. We will sit quietly in the waiting room and not make any trouble or noise. We will rub down Nicks arms and help relax his muscles when and if he comes out for an update to us. That is as much our delivery plan as we have right now.
Love,
Mary-Mom-Grandma
Post a Comment