Saturday, July 5, 2008

Day 5

July 5th, 2008: 4 wks + 3 days according to my online pregnancy calendar I just signed up for. This is the most confusing thing in the world. I am well aware that a full term pregnancy is 40 weeks hence more like 10 months rather than 9 months as is commonly believed. However, I thought the weeks started at conception. I was shocked when I signed up for this pregnancy calendar and it said I'm 4 wks + 3 days because all along I thought I'm barely 3 weeks. Why does the clock start on the first day of your last period when you know your conception date (roughly)? Now I think I understand why people say 9 months rather than 10 months because the count starts before you're even pregnant.

Today was my first FREE day since the news. By 10:30am I had already:
  1. Signed up for my online pregnancy calendar and updates
  2. Signed up for 6 daily/weekly or monthly newsletters
  3. Researched "green" baby items
  4. Started a spreadsheet for "Needed" items along with the cost and timeline of when I need to purchase them
  5. Updated our budget
  6. Started this blog

I could've kept going but I chose not to. I don't want to get too attached just in case something happens. I'm not being pessimistic; miscarriages do happen to 10-20% of expecting women. I think I'm mentally prepared for whatever happens. I felt like I got a lot done this morning. For a while I've heard women say that the 9 months fly by and you need to start planning early. Today I got a head start and I'm not quite sure what it is that takes 9 months to plan. Maybe I missed something but luckily I'll have daily, weekly, and monthly updates to keep me on my toes in case I did miss something.

No comments: