Sunday, July 6, 2008

Day 6- Nick's Perspective

Stephanie would be quick to tell you that I don't always think about the potential worries or obstacles of a given situation. I guess once I know what I'm faced with, I accept the situation and focus on all of the positives. Let's start with the basics: 1) Steph and I definitely want to have kids, 2) we've matured a lot in terms of family planning, 3) I think the timing is perfect since I'll have a more flexible schedule, and 4) I can't wait to break the news to our families.


This morning, Steph and I woke up and plopped ourselves on the couch to watch the Men's (excuse me, Gentlemen's) Wimbledon final. After that we decided to do a little afternoon shopping for some odd's and end's around the house. As we were pulling out of the neighborhood, Steph turned to me and said, "So you're going to be a dad. . . How do you feel about that?" I turned to her and said (with a ginormous smile) "I'm excited!". I can't help but be happy about the idea of Steph and I making a mini-Guittar, or ukulele, if you will. Sorry Gonzalez and Vallellanes families, but it's more fun to say mini-Guittar.


People with children often tell us to do everything we can before having kids. The fact is, I think we've done a lot already. I have dozens of ideas for things we can do with our kids that will be just as great or perhaps even better than anything Stephanie and I might do now. I do feel that couples today should avoid rushing into having kids. You've got to have a strong sense of who you are as a couple before you add to the equation. We're at a point now where we can agree on how to go about doing things, we know what each other's strengths are, and we know our roles in the relationship. In my opinion, our #1 strength in preparing to add to our family, is the fact that we don't follow traditional gender roles. You could easily equate us to co-owners of a small business. . . there is no 'male' or 'female' role, rather the two owners divy up the responsibilities based on personal strengths. That's enough philosophy for today. Until next time. . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now you have new opportunities. Suprisingly thing wil happen quite naturally. I believe the time is right for both of you.
I am happy for both of you. I do not show a lot of outward emotion but I am very happy and very proud. proud of you two as a couple and proud in advance of you both as parents.