Today was a great family day. There were a couple of mishaps that I thought were signs of how the rest of the day was going to go but it ended well. On our way to the museum Liam started to cry and we heard him pooping. We were close to the museum so I actually uttered the words "well, he's just going to have to sit on it for a little while". What we did not know was that it was of atomic bomb proportions! It went through the diaper, through the clothes, on to the car seat and then as I was trying to clean it up it got on his socks and in his hand which he has little control of still so it even got on his face. This was a mess of epic proportions! I had never cleaned this much poop. Gavin never even pooped in public until he was over a year old (I would selfishly say that is a benefit of formula feeding). Overwhelmed by the mess and since I did not have any plastic bags with me (of course, the one day I need them), we just wrapped everything up in the changing pad and tossed it in a dumpster. Unfortunately Nick did not realize that the very cute onesie Liam was wearing- which was now covered in poop- was also wrapped inside so we lost an outfit today. Luckily the back-up outfit that I did have still fit Liam. He is outgrowing his newborn outfits and this was a "premie" outfit but it was one that ran big and it still fit him.
When we were finally ready to walk into the museum Gavin did something really cute, I took the camera out to take a picture and the camera flashes "NO CARD". Sh*t! The memory card was still in my laptop at home....so no pictures. I could not believe it and thought this was yet another sign that we maybe should've stayed home but as we walked around Nick remembered that he is able to take pics with his phone so it saved the day. Below are the pics that show how fun of a day we had. This place is awesome for us. It's small enough where I can keep track of Gavin if I were to come by myself. They have really fun exhibits for him and we didn't realize there's a little indoor playground that is all animal themed (tunnels for kids but also with info on how different animals build tunnels underground, etc).
[Cara: If you come visit with Nathan, we'll have to take the boys. Nathan would have a blast with all the frogs and animals they have]
The museum is divided by animal types. Below is Gavin in the insect room.
![]() |
| Gavin Fly on the wall |
Below...THE owl. For Nick and I, this was the most impressive exhibit. I have never seen an owl in person and it was impressive. Gorgeous animal. Of course, after admiring it we both felt terribly guilty that it was trapped in this "cage" and did not get to fly but then we read the info card where it mentioned that the owl was hit by a car and it has wing damage so it is no longer able to fly. That made us feel better.
Gavin loved seeing the turtle exhibit. He kept saying "I want to see the sea turtles" and even though we told him over and over that they were not sea turtles, to him they are still sea turtles.
Below is a blurry picture of a skink. This one is for Aaron. Nick's brother posted a pic on facebook a few days ago of a skink he caught inside his house and it was the biggest skink I've ever seen (the grossest one too, it was really fat like it was pregnant or had just eaten something). These things really creep me out, they're like a mix of a snake and a lizzard.
Below is Gavin inside the little playground tunnels.
They also have an activity area for kids with more toys and books.
Gavin's absolute favorite thing was the sandbox because they had rakes and he loves to "dig" and "look for Martian treasure" (which we now know comes from a Mickey Mouse playhouse episode- according to Gavin).

The museum has a nature trail behind it and we found some "gumballs"--this pic is for Grandma Mary.
We found a little house at the end of the trail.
....and a little bench
We loved this place so much that we became members because the membership includes this place but also another two "Discovery" museums that have great activities for kids. The family membership was pretty inexpensive considering it admits all 4 of us into the three places for the next 14 months. This is a place that the grandparents will enjoy visiting with us when they come to SC.













4 comments:
Ok. I like it and am eady to go. Can I play with the neat stuff just like Gavin?
Tell Gavin that Grandpa wants to go.
Sure thing. Mom, this place is PERFECT for Gavin. In fact, the whole museum was designed with ages 3-8 in mind. Steph left out a few details: Gavin saw his first puppet show today (they have a nice puppet stage), and they have a story-telling theater that we'll have to check out next time. All of the exhibits are at Gavin's height, so there's no worry over whether he can see things alright. Btw: here's a link for the Nature Museum (and the two "Discovery Place" museums--links on the top of the page) :http://www.charlottenaturemuseum.org/
We haven't been the the nature museum before but it looks great! You guys should do the Carolina Raptor Center in Huntersville sometime. They have hawks and owls and even bald eagles (all in cages because they've all been in accidents, but still neat).
Thanks Whitney. BTW, we just got a membership for the three Discovery Place museums, so we'll have to meet up sometime soon. Discovery Place Kids is right in your backyeard, isn't it?
-Nick
Post a Comment