Liam's one month check-up (more like 6 weeks) and first pediatrician appointment in South Carolina was on Friday. Everything is great. Liam is one healthy boy. He weighs 9.9 lbs and measures 22 3/4 inches. We like the doc we saw. The good thing about this practice is that they are 15 minutes from our house and they're open M-F until 8pm and on Saturdays AND Sundays for sick appointments. I hope to never need them but it's pretty generous of them to offer those hours. When we were filling out the new patient paperwork it kind of hit us that we are all alone up here....who is Liam's emergency contact besides us??? We have no one but our parents back home (which also prompted us to sign up for AAA since we'd be screwed if one of our cars fails us up here). So, again let's hope we never need an emergency contact.
We did learn that midwifery is in fact legal in SC. I was told it wasn't. However, home births are not "legal" here. She said that home births happen but they are not supposed to. But at least they didn't make us feel like we were aliens because we had a home birth.
Liam's next appt is at 2 months and that's when they'll give him his first vaccines. I couldn't find a doctor that would do a delayed vaccination schedule so we'll be following the APA schedule. I had found a practice that had a doctor who was pro-natural parenting and supported delayed vaccinations but he has been overridden by the protocol of his medical practice and is no longer able to delay them. It seems that's the direction most practices are taking, if they ever allowed delays in the first place.
2 comments:
I'm pretty sure that the CDC is pressuring peds pretty hard to exclusively vaccinate using the recommended schedule due to so many people counting on herd immunity and the resulting uptick in measles, pertussis, etc.
Henry and I will pick you up if your car breaks down. :) Graham might even be able to get it running again. (He used to be a mechanic.)
Post a Comment