Saturday, September 3, 2011

Liam's Circumcision

Yesterday was the day.  I didn't want to talk about it too much.  I still had mixed feelings about it but I was confident in the Dr. who would be doing the procedure.  Nick found a practice of pediatric urologists that do circumcisions in their office and had great reviews.  The office was real busy.  We were first seen by the P.A. in the office and she checked that everything was normal and ready for the procedure to be done that day.  As she said, their office is a "circumcision powerhouse".  I saw 4 babies go in and out in the short time we were there.  I didn't know what to expect but the P.A. and the doctor were very good at explaining exactly what they were going to do and what to expect afterwards.  I didn't know they would allow one of us to go with him and watch the procedure.  Nick stayed back with Gavin and I went with Liam.  Based on my feelings, I didn't want to see it but I couldn't bear not being with him through it.  It was tough for me to watch and it took every ounce of strength in me not to cry while the doctor was doing it.  The only thing that made me feel better was that Liam was not crying.  He only cried when they restrained his legs and when the doctor gave him the anesthesia shots.  Interestingly, at that point they give the babies dum dum lollipops.  They said the sugar calms them and sure enough, his mouth was blue from the candy and he was calm as could be.  I then got over the fact that they just gave my one month old a dum dum! :)
The rest was so routine for them.  No hesitation from the doctor.  I won't give the graphic details here because I don't want to relive them.  I'm trying really hard to get the image out of my head.  He used a different procedure than when done at a hospital.  He used a "Plastibell", it's a plastic ring that stays on the penis for a few days and that means that we don't have to deal with any gauzes/dressing.  Once it falls off then we just need to Vaseline it but for now we do nothing and there are no restrictions (e.g. baths).

The doctor said the anesthesia would last for an hour or so and any "pain" or discomfort would come from where the anesthesia shots were placed and not the circ area.  The anesthesia wore off once we got home and Liam cried for a little while.  This was harder than watching the procedure because all I kept thinking is that I put him in this pain and discomfort.  I was so scared to change his diaper.  However, the night was not as bad as I expected.  He slept and ate fine.  Diaper changes don't seem to upset him as much.  They still upset me because I can see the swelling and makes me feel like he's in pain even though he's acting completely normal.
It's done now.  It is what it is.  However, if we ever have another child, I do pray for a girl because I don't want to think about this ever again.

2 comments:

Christina and David said...

It was interesting you mentioned the dums dums. When Sawyer was circumcised in the hospital, the nurse brought him back to our room and pointed out this small tube. She said it was "sweetums", AKA sugar water. They give it to them to calm them down. I kept thinking...why are they giving my newborn sugar?

Viana said...

Oh, Steph, well done for being so brave! I was a bit stressed about the decision, but found it really hard to get information in time, so were unable to get Cooper circumcised in the end. I was kind of relieved!

So interesting about the sugar!!