Sunday, March 15, 2009

2 Weeks

It seems longer than 2 weeks since we've brought Gavin home. It really takes this long to establish a routine although I'm still trying to figure out what mine is exactly. I've officially broken the anti co-sleeping rule. After reading Cara's blog, it seems that we're in the same predicament except that I've given in way earlier than she did. For the past 2 nights, Gavin and I have co-slept (slept on the bed). I know this is not a good habit. I'm really not concerned over the unsafe aspect of co-sleeping. As I've mentioned before I do not change positions once I'm asleep so as long as Gavin is unable to roll over on his own, we're good sleeping partners. The concern is the long-term effects of this habit. Do I really want a 1 year old sleeping in our bed? NO! Part of me wants to believe that once he's a little bit older (in a couple of months) he'll be able to sleep better on his own. Even though we swaddle him like a straight jacket, he doesn't stay still or quiet on his own unless he's next to me. Two weeks old and he already has us wrapped around his fingers. I can just see it- I'll be breaking every rule I ever set for myself on parenting! Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come. For now, I do enjoy the extra sleep.

The breastfeeding is going well. We've figured out what works now. Gavin is breastfed during the day and bottlefed what I've pumped at night. He has the hardest time latching on quickly at night and I'm not one to waste sleep time. I've given up and turned to the bottle for night feedings. Gavin is going through a growth spurt or something b/c he is nursing like crazy- yesterday he nursed every HOUR. Two days ago, he was nursing so often I didn't get to pump the night bottles. He was so hungry when he woke up at night that he would not latch on so I turned to a formula bottle. I won't do this again. His stomach was so upset the next day. I felt so bad for him. He seemed like he was in pain when he pooped. I felt so bad for him. Now, I've moved the pump to the living room so it's more convenient during the day to pump more often. I need to start building up a reserve for when I go back to work. I thought I'd switch to formula if necessary but now I won't do it since I saw how it made him feel.

Today we ventured outside the house. I wanted to take a small trip outside just to see how Gavin reacted and to see if our diaper bag contains everything we need outside the house. We went to an early dinner. I had fed and changed him right before we left the house so we had about 2 hours until the next feeding. As it turns out, Gavin slept the entire time until right when we pulled into our garage- at the 2 hour mark! So I didn't really get to try out the diaper bag stuff. I'm still not sure about how I would change a diaper when we're out and about. I hate those diaper tables in the bathrooms, they look filthy to me. I would change him in the stroller but I'm afraid of a geyser incident happening while in the stroller. I might just have to add a lysol spray can to the diaper bag to spray down the diaper table when out.

Workout update: I officially started working out again this morning. I did a lower body workout that I had DVR'd on my TV. I quickly realized that I'm not ready to do a couple of exercise moves- leg lifts, fire hydrants, plie squats. These are the same moves that caused major pain late in my pregnancy. I'm not sure if I can't do them overall or if they just felt weird because I had already done 50+ squats. Anyhow, I worked out for about 35 minutes and it got my heart rate going. I was sweating and it felt good. I hope to be a little bit sore tomorrow. I miss the sore feeling.
Yesterday I was feeling a little bit overconfident and I decided to try on a pair of my biggest pants in my closet. They came up but there was no way to button them- not even close! During the pregnancy I was so concerned over the growth of my belly I overlooked the growth of my butt. It really wasn't until now that the belly is gone that I've realized how much my hips/butt grew. It really doesn't upset me as much as I thought (b/c I'm still optimistic I can get it back). However, it is upsetting to not be able to wear anything in my closet. I'm tired of maternity clothes but I refuse to go shopping for clothes while I'm in this transition stage. I'm so cheap when it comes to buying clothes. I can't waste money on a new wardrobe especially when I think they'll be too big in a couple of months. I know it's wishful thinking but I at least know that my body will change in the next few weeks. I just don't know how or how much it will change.

No comments: