I received an email from my health insurance letting me know that a claim had been filed. I logged on to their website to see what it was and if there was any outstanding balance. I never really knew how much having a baby would cost. I had heard estimates of anywhere from $3,500 vaginal delivery to $10,000 for a c-section. Well I am so glad I have health insurance with a low deductible. The hospital billed my insurance a whopping $9,194. It breaks down $2,574 for my room and board and $6,620 for "miscellaneous" services that are not specified.
Now that's not what the hospital gets because the insurance only paid them $3,559 plus I paid $1,000 for my deductible so they get about 1/2 of what they billed for. I'm not even sure that includes individual Dr. fees (i.e. anesthesiologists, pediatrician, etc) either.
I guess I shouldn't be shocked at the amount. What makes me sad and angry is that if I had not had health insurance, the hospital would've probably billed me the full amount. It is only because health insurance companies negotiate down the price to what they consider is "market rate" for their in-network providers that the hospital is willing to accept half of their bill.
Nick said if we didn't have insurance, he wouldn't have allowed me to get an epidural! :)
1 comment:
OH, YES HE WOULD! I AM SURE OF THAT!
Stephanie, whatever you needed, Nick would have gone to any length to get it for you. Even if Nick needed the epideril,you would have done the same for him. But you know that.
Love,
Mary-Mom
Mary-Mom
Post a Comment