Wednesday, March 4, 2009

First Night Home

Last night was our first night at home. My mom and sister came over and spent the night. Since we were bottle feeding, my mom offered to take care of Gavin all night so we could get a full night sleep and catch up. Nick and I went to bed around 10pm and I didn't get up until 5:30am when I awoke starving! I ate breakfast, nursed Gavin for a little while and went back to sleep until 10am. Nick is well-rested as well. Today we both feel great and are enjoying taking care of little Gavin. Even though he is still fuzzy when he nurses, I am much more patient and are not forcing it like I was yesterday. I've allowed him to latch-on on his own and this seems to work much better than when I tried to do it the "proper way". I think we're both much happier with the process. The lactation consultant had to remind me that he was 2 weeks early and when they're that little they get tired really easily so it will take longer for them to nurse properly. I believe he's a little bit jaundiced today. We sat by the window this morning and even though he was only wearing his diaper, he was happy. I think the warmth of the sun felt good to him. He has his first Dr.'s appointment tomorrow so we'll see if he is in fact jaundiced.

Random thoughts since yesterday:

1. You soon learn that it doesn't matter what books say. You'll do whatever it takes, whatever works for you at the time.
2. I've lost track of time. I noticed this when I was in labor. Contractions were 5 minutes apart and you would think that would make hours seem eternal but they really just flew by. The same applies now. Days are just hour long increments between feedings, changings, etc. I have to think long and hard about what day/time it is.
3. Gavin is gorgeous! I have a scrapbook tile that says "every mother has the most beautiful child in the world" and I truly feel like that. He is so freaking cute!
4. Sleep is what keeps us alive and happy. Must get some more :)

That's it for now. I really need a notebook to write down thoughts as they come up. I had so much to say last night but I was too tired to type. I'll work on that today.

Here's a picture from this morning... he loves his pacifier so much, he holds it in place! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is so sweet, I cant get over how little he looks.

Anonymous said...

That is the sweetest picture I've ever seen!!!

Love,
Ash

Anonymous said...

He looks so adorable holding that pacifier in place....awww I remember when my baby was that little, enjoy!!
Tania