Today we met Gavin's pediatrician. Nick and I were not impressed by the office staff. However, the Dr. did make up for it. She refers to herself as a moderate pediatrician, which we liked.
I may still change ped down the road. The office does have an after hours nurse line but they said "there may be a charge", which I did not like. Personally I think if I'm not getting the Dr. directly then there's definitely not a need to charge me for a phone consult. We'll see how it goes.
Gavin is doing great. He weighed 6 lbs 10 oz, which is still within the normal range of weight loss post-birth. He is a tiny bit jaundiced but she said once he starts nursing more often, pooping more often, he should be ok. We've been sitting by the window in the mornings to help this along as well. Gavin is a healthy little boy. His circumcision is healing well. Today he got his first vaccine (Hep B), he didn't do too bad. We return to the ped in 2 weeks for a follow-up. She would like to see him gain his birth weight by then and so would I.
I explained to her the feeding problems we've been having. He doesn't wake up for food. He only wakes up when he's wet/pooped. I was told at the hospital to wake him up to feed him. The problem is that if I wake him up to breastfeed, he does not latch on, he keeps his mouth shut and sleeps. However, he takes a bottle even if he's asleep. So we did formula for a day and a half until yesterday when I was able to pump enough for one serving. However, I think he got used to the formula and then my serving was not filling him up. Last night I pumped every 2 hours just to relieve the pressure on my chest (I couldn't even lay on my side b/c they were so hard!). The pumping didn't help me much but I was able to get one full ounce- which is not very much considering that my chest feels like I have 3-5 oz in each of them. The pediatrician agreed that the amount wasn't a lot but she said I'm still just starting to produce so it can take a little while. The pediatrician told me that I didn't have to wake him up to feed. I could just wait until he was starving and would wake up- as long as he continues to wet/poop normal. Today's strategy was to let Gavin sleep until he would wake up hungry on his own. I was so concerned b/c he ate at 8:30am and it was 4pm and he still had not woken up or given any feeding cues. I gave in and gave him my pumped breastmilk (a little less than an ounce). Then tonight at 8pm, he woke up hungry!!!! It took a few minutes for him to calm down and latch on but once he did it was amazing. He nursed for a whole 20 minutes. The problem is that he's back asleep and he only did one side so I'm lopsided (again!). I am so excited. This gives me hope. We can do this! I've put in a call to the breastfeeding center at the hospital and the La Leche League to see if I can set up an appointment for tomorrow or Saturday with a lactation consultant. Once we get on a regular feeding schedule, I will feel so much better. I'll also think Gavin's gassiness will decrease.
I'll try to post more pictures tomorrow.
1 comment:
I think you should have a look at this website for useful and informative information about breastfeeding. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/basics/index.htmlPlease remember that peds are not lactation experts. While you shouldn't have to wake Gavin to feed him, you should be giving him the opportunity to latch on 10-12 times a day. For now, you are his pacifier! It can be very sore at the beginning - make sure you have some Lansinoh cream for yourself.
Good luck!
And congratulations!
Martina (Rafter)
Post a Comment